(blogging from a tiny kitchen)

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Eat on $30: Day 4

I have something in common with the fine folks at 30 Bucks a Week (besides, of course, the 30 bucks a week thing): We both LOVE us some Mark Bittman. I picked up a copy of How to Cook Everything a few months ago, and it, combined with the genius that is Cooks Illustrated, are really all you need to cook anything.

Erik was out last night, so I made Bittman's lentil soup with bacon. I didn't have celery, but had extra carrots left from an impulse buy at the farmers market a couple of weeks ago. I added in one of the big honkin' potatoes I bought yesterday, and used up the vegetable and chicken stocks in my fridge. The soup is really quite delicious, and it was a great way for me to use up some more odds and ends in my kitchen. I also made a quick cheese quesadilla to accompany, but the soup was plenty hearty on its own and really didn't need any accompaniment. The bacon gave the soup a lightly smoky flavor, and the potato and carrot chunks cooked just long enough to be soft but not mushy. The only spices I added were a bay leaf (as per the recipe) and some black pepper. I skipped the salt because of the added saltiness of the bacon, and it was perfect. Seriously, this recipe is a keeper.

I also whipped up a batch of brownies that really hit the spot. I needed some serious food TLC last night, and the meal I made was exactly that. Dinner tonight will be leftover lentil soup and (if it turns out okay) some fresh homemade bread. It may not be as wintry here in Austin as it is in my hometown, but a bowl of hearty soup and warm bread slathered in butter is the perfect dinner on a cold night.

I'll try to type up and post my version of the recipe later today.

TOTAL
Spent $21.72
Left $8.28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.