(blogging from a tiny kitchen)

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Appetite for Deconstruction

I haven’t had much of an appetite lately. Strange, I know. I think part of it is that I started running a few weeks ago, mainly to help counteract some of the over-indulgences I like to blame on my blogging, but also to keep my brain (and body) healthy and in tip-top shape. The three times a week I go running serve to kick my butt, clear my mind, and help put things in perspective.

But my new-found athleticism also gives me pause when making my food choices. Whereas a few months ago I would go for brownies, followed by some cookies, topped off with a big wedge of cake, after an ass-kicking run I don’t feel like undoing all my hard work and so I usually go for whole wheat pasta or some fruit and yogurt. I feel much better on a day-to-day basis, but what’s blog-worthy about a tub of yogurt and a banana?

I decided that what I really need is some inspiration. I do well in the face of adversity, so after Erik and I talked this morning about maybe finally coming up with--and sticking to--a budget (how very adult of us), I started Googling. As the sole meal planner and preparer, I’ve made an executive decision. Beginning tomorrow, for one week (at least to start; maybe longer if all goes well) we will follow in the footsteps of this noble blogger, and limit our grocery spending to $30 a week. The catch? That will be $30 worth of vegetarian groceries.

I’m also going to post here each of the seven days about what we spent on food and what we ate. Since we already have a lot of basics in the house, I’m going to put off my first shopping trip until Thursday or Friday. We can easily survive for a little while on the random odds and ends stashed in the freezer and cupboards.

Note: I’m not including items like kitty litter and diapers in that $30. Those additional expenses will probably bump up our total to closer to $60 a week, but I’m okay with that. This isn’t meant to be a punishment, it's supposed to be fun. And the members of our household have to poop somewhere.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Glad you're inspired and $30/Week can't wait to read about your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.