(blogging from a tiny kitchen)

Friday, December 11, 2009

Eat on $30: Day 3

I just returned from my first Eat on $30 shopping trip, and I think I did pretty well. I spent $21.72 on food, leaving $8.28 for anything we might need in the next couple of days. Or, if we decide to continue this project, we can roll the extra over into next week.

I even managed to buy some meats with that $21.72. I bought chicken thighs, which I've never cooked in my life, and some ground turkey, which is always good for something. Oh, and bacon. Despite all my vegetarian tendencies, I loves me some bacon. I'm thinking about putting the turkey and chicken in the freezer until it's time to use them, because I have a nasty habit of not cooking meat before it goes bad. And now that I'm counting every penny, I really don't want to waste anything.

For breakfast I had yet another almond butter and blackberry jam sandwich. I made one for Erik, too, which used up the last of our bread. Instead of spending at least $3 on bread at the store, I thought I'd try my hand at baking some today. We'll see how that goes.

For dinner I might try making lentil soup, but it depends on how the day progresses. As per my last post, I'm not going to push myself too hard. Now, I will be making brownies later, so I may end up having bread and brownies for dinner. But that's okay. Isn't that what they eat in Europe?

Here's the rundown of my shopping trip:

4 bananas .71
1 green bell pepper .84
1 navel orange .71
2 big ol' baking potatoes 1.79
2 yogurts 2.50
Ground turkey 1.49
Bacon 2.50
1 dozen eggs 2.08
Tortilla chips 2.50
1 pound butter 1.99
Chicken thighs 2.87
Half and half 1.74

TOTAL
Spent $21.72
Left $8.28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.