(blogging from a tiny kitchen)

Friday, October 16, 2009

A Super Easy Lunch

Did you know that lunch is a meal worth cooking for? I did not. Erik is home for lunch most days, and I usually end up making him a tuna melt, or a turkey melt, or some other meat/cheese/broiler combination. Or I heat up a can of chili. I'm that good.

I also have this bad habit of buying a bunch of chicken breasts at the store and then not using them before they go bad. I don’t know if it’s that I’m daunted by the idea of cooking them all, or that (more likely) the thought of eating yet another grilled chicken breast leaves me less than enthused. Whatever the reason, it’s a ridiculous waste of money and food.

I made shredded chicken years ago for a potluck and it was delicious. I remember being surprised at how easy it was to make such versatile and flavorful chicken. So, since I had a pound of chicken tenders in the fridge and no real plan for them, I thought I’d try making some shredded chicken tacos for lunch.

I put the chicken tenders in a pot, covered them with chicken stock and a bit of water, added some chopped onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, and black pepper, and brought to a boil. I let the whole thing simmer for about five minutes, turned off the heat, and put a lid on the pot. After about half an hour I pulled out the chicken and shredded it in a bowl, adding a bit of the poaching liquid to moisten it.

I heated up some fresh flour tortillas, and filled them up with the shredded chicken, some hot sauce, salad greens, onions, and just a bit of shredded cheese. The tacos were so good for lunch that we also ate them for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.