(blogging from a tiny kitchen)

Friday, October 16, 2009

Homemade Pizza

My dad has the lockdown on homemade pizza. If you ask him even a passing question about how he does it, he will happily launch into a detailed explanation of the best dough to use, how to make your own mini pizza oven, or what the best toppings might be. My dad is a chowhound, and he has a truly deep passion for cooking. But I would say his pizza is his signature dish.

I am a purist when it comes to pizza. For me, the fewer toppings, the better. I’ll take a thin slice of pizza margherita over a deep-dish meat-lover’s orgy any day of the week. Like most foods, if you use good ingredients, you don’t need to distract the taste buds with a hundred different flavors and textures. Tomatoes, mozzarella, a good thin crust, and maybe some oil and herbs. Done.

Of course, I’m also a huge fan of white pizza. Martusciello’s Bakery in my hometown has the best white pizza I’ve ever had. Olive oil, parmesan cheese, and lots of onions and garlic. It’s a perfect Friday night food.

On Monday I thought I’d try my hand at homemade pizza. I knew it wouldn’t be as good as my dad’s, but in time maybe I’ll be able to give him a run for his money.

I followed Cook’s Illustrated’s recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Margherita, but only made one with tomatoes and cheese. The other pizza I topped with garlic, olive oil, some crispy bacon, and a pile of caramelized red onions. Both pizzas were awesome. Erik preferred the margherita while I preferred the onion/bacon combo, but we agreed that were both delicious.

The pizza dough was so easy to make, there is no way I will ever buy pre-made pizza dough ever again. Ever.

Whole Wheat Pizza Margherita

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.